Search problems

In my last post I said that I was using acts_as_ferret.  However I was finding it difficult to create an index for a certain section of the site.  I think this was due to me having null fields some of the database fields. I could nt change this.

When I was having problems I turned to acts_as_searchable. As the post states the search plugin uses HyperEstraier which is an opensource search engine.  It seems to be very good and above all (for me) the UTF support seems excellent. This is demenstroated by having a Japenese language search demo on their site.

I managed to get it to work 🙂 I will post how in the next couple of days.

My first thoughs about HyperEstraier is that it has some very good features, but most of the features I am not going to use in the near future.  Overall the set up is a bit more invloved then ferret, this is because you need to run a deamon.

More thoughts soon!

Hamza

Advertisements

No comments yet

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: